Tuesday, November 9, 2010

(More than) Twelve Angry Men (and Women)

So yeah, I got called in for jury duty today. I think it would have been a pretty cool experience had they actually needed me. I was kind of worked up about the fact that I  hadn't told my boss so I was stressing out about whether or not she'd be angry, but once I called and told her and she didn't flip out, I actually got kind of interested in it.

I went in to the court house at 8:30 in the morning and waited like twenty minutes. Then we watched a really short video (it was kind of clever actually...and quippy if that's a word) and talked about what was going to happen that day. Then she gave us our juror numbers and put us in numerical order. In all it lasted about 1/2 hour...then we went on break for like another twenty minutes. When she came back she told us that the defendant and the judge had agreeded to a bench trial instead of a trial by jury. We never even got to find out what the case was.

My mom said that I get paid for jury duty. Which is true....I get paid....$9. Jury duty is not worth $9. I'm not saying it'd be worth $100, but I mean I was expecting like $50...just enough that not showing up for work would have seemed worthwhile. I mean, I guess if I had called in and said I'd be serving on the jury and then showed them the paper I got, I'd get my day's wages plus $9 for doing nothing, but it wasn't worth lying about.

I wouldn't have minded going all the way out there for nothing, but this morning I got called in for a sub job! Now, I don't mind doing my civic duty, but it was kind of annoying that I couldn't take the job. Sub jobs come up so infrequently that I try to take them when I can. And if I had gone down there and actually served on the jury then it would have seemed worth it. But we weren't needed and I lost valuable classroom experience. That school probably won't call me for another month.

That being said....the people at the catholic school where I'm trying to teach Spanish seem interested in me. We haven't talked much, but they asked for my contact information and such. So....we'll have to see how that goes...

I am really really hoping that I get the Spanish thing.....I DESPISE subbing!!! I really do. I can't stand not knowing what I'll be doing the next day. And it sucks that I can't make plans for during the day since it is possible that I may end up rescheduling so that I can take the sub job. And I HATE getting a call the next day at 6:00 in the morning! Who can go back to sleep after that? I'd much rather be just working at the nursing home until I found a teaching position.

No comments:

Post a Comment